I actually did attend my 10 year high school reunion. Even though I said I wouldn’t. But I went with some friends and had a pretty good time. However, I don’t think I’ll be going to any future reunions. I already keep up with the friends that I want to be in touch with and the thought of going back to high school causes me to break out in hives.
That being said, here are my thoughts on high school reunions:
1. People will tell you that you look exactly the same as you did in high school. I’m still trying to figure out if this is a good or bad thing. I’m still skinny? Good. I still have frizzy hair? Bad.
2. A little interesting and disheartening to see that people act like they’re still in high school.
3. Fun to catch up on the gossip–who married who, who’s in which profession, who’s still a tool…
4. I will admit that I had fun catching up with some of the people that I was friends with in high school. And knowing that they were genuinely interested in how I was.
5. It’s nice to be remembered. Even nicer when people remember how to pronounce your name.
6. Not only was it interesting to see who was there, but it was interesting to see who wasn’t there. I’d say about 80% of our class was missing.
7. I had fun talking to people that I wasn’t friends with in high school. It’s nice that we didn’t have to worry about cliques or labels.
8. That being said, it was great seeing that some people still find cliques important. Not.
9. It was encouraging to know that I made some lifelong friendships in high school. People I still talk to today.
10. But the best part of the reunion? Knowing that high school was O-V-E-R!!